COLORADO EXTREME SPORTS EVENTS IN THE SPOTLIGHT THIS WINTER
Action sports competitions to entertain and challenge spectators and participants
Denver (Dec. 10, 2012) – With fresh snow on the ground and most Colorado ski resorts open for business, extreme sports events will take center stage this winter season. Colorado’s mountains offer guests opportunities to watch professional ski and snowboard athletes compete for coveted titles, or strap on equipment and get in the action themselves. From the high-profile ESPN Winter X Games 17 at Buttermilk Mountain to the amateur cross-country ski race Alley Loop at Crested Butte Mountain Resort, Colorado visitors will find endless event entertainment on the slopes this winter. Below is a sampling of the 2012/13 winter sports events line-up. For more information, visit www.colorado.com.
Watch From the Sidelines
- Ski and Snowboardcross Cup (Dec. 12 – 15, 2012) Teams from around the world will gather in Telluride on their road to the 2014 Sochi Olympics. This year’s action will begin December 12 with Skiercross, followed by Snowboardcross December 14 and 15, both of which provide fantastic viewing opportunities for spectators. This is the first year the two events have been combined.
- Dew Tour (Dec. 13 – 16, 2012) The Dew Tour’s iON Mountain Championship brings the world’s top ski and snowboard athletes, including Shaun White, Scotty Lago, Louie Vito, Kelly Clark and more. Athletes will compete on the mountain in freeski and snowboard superpipe, Big Air, and slopestyle events. Attendees will also find entertainment at concerts and parties in the town of Breckenridge.
- Sprint U.S. Grand Prix (Jan. 7 – 12, 2013) Witness top freeskiers and snowboarders from around the globe as they battle on Copper Mountain in one of the largest competitive winter sports events, the U.S.S.A. Halfpipe Grand Prix.
- Budweiser International Snow Sculpture Championships (Jan. 22 – 26, 2013) This year, 16 teams from 15 different countries, including teams from India and Singapore, will put their skills to the test, hand-carving 12-foot-tall, 20-ton blocks of snow into works of art. New this year, amateur photographers can join in a half-day workshop to gain knowledge, tips and techniques for capturing the temporary outdoor art gallery.
- ESPN Winter X Games 17 (Jan. 24 – 27, 2013) More than 200 of the world’s best skiing, snowboarding and snowmobile athletes will converge on Aspen this January for the action-packed and highly anticipated four-day event. Shaun White, Gretchen Bleiler, Lindsey Jacobellis and other world-class winter athletes will compete for some of the most coveted medals in action sports. The Winter X Games events are free to the public at Buttermilk Mountain.
- 22nd Annual Extreme Freeskiing Championships (Feb. 6 – 10, 2013) As a 4-star qualifier stop on the Subaru Freeskiing Tour, Crested Butte Mountain Resort challenges the best skiers and riders in the world to take the craziest runs down epic mountain terrain. Spectators can watch competitors vie for the Sick Bird award and for points toward the Swatch Freeride World Tour.
- U.S. Telemark National Championships (Feb. 22 – 24, 2013) Watch as the fastest telemark skiers in the U.S. compete for the highest title during this three-day event at Steamboat Resort. Racers telemark ski through GS gates, over jumps and stake uphill on this challenging course as they go head to head against the top telemark skiers in the country.
Get in the Action
- 18th Annual Ouray Ice Festival (Jan. 10 – 13, 2013) World-class ice climbing competitors will showcase their edge in Ouray’s premier ice climbing festival this January. Guests both young and old can witness and partake in climbing competitions, demonstrations, clinics, guided climbs and additional activities.
- Winter Park SnowDash (Jan. 26, 2013) The SnowDash is an adventurous 5k race in downtown Winter Park, where extreme racers climb over cargo nets, run uphill in the snow, crawl through powder pits, and dart up steep terrain. Four waves of competitors will complete six to eight obstacles in front of a cheering crowd and loud music.
- 27th Annual Alley Loop Nordic Race (Feb. 2, 2013) Crested Butte’s signature race and costume party returns for the 27th year for all ages and Nordic ski abilities. Cross-country skiers will race through alleys, over bridges and past downtown homes. More challenging loops are available on the outskirts of Crested Butte. The event also features a Friday night ski-pub crawl, “Taste of the Alley.”
- Winter Mountain Games Presented by Eddie Bauer (Feb. 8 – 10, 2013) Professional and amateur athletes will converge on Vail Mountain and Vail Village for the second annual Winter Mountain Games in celebration of adventure sports. The event will feature competitions in mixed/ice climbing, mountain cyclocross, Big Air, dual slalom biking, Nordic and telemark skiing, ski mountaineering, snowshoe racing and ascension with $60,000 in prize money up for grabs.
- Twin Lakes Ice Fishing Derby (Feb 16 – 17, 2013) Anglers compete for the largest fish in this annual Leadville Rod & Gun Club event at Twin Lakes. Prizes are awarded for mackinaw, brown trout, rainbow trout, cutthroat trout and kokanee salmon. Prizes range from $50 to $500.
- Kayaks on Snow (April 6, 2013) Join in Monarch Mountain’s signature event as contestants race head to head down a specially designed course that features multiple barriers and finishes in an icy pond. Spectators and participants are encouraged to dress creatively.
Colorado is a four-season destination offering unparalleled adventure and recreational pursuits, a thriving arts scene, a rich cultural heritage, flavorful cuisine, and 25 renowned ski areas and resorts. The state's breathtaking scenic landscape boasts natural hot springs, the headwaters of seven major rivers, many peaceful lakes and reservoirs, 10 national parks and monuments, and 58 mountain peaks that top 14,000 feet. For more information or a copy of the 2012 Colorado Official State Vacation Guide, visit www.COLORADO.com or call 1-800-COLORADO. Media are invited to visit the Colorado Media Room at http://www.colorado.com/media-room for story ideas, press releases, a high-resolution image library, the official Colorado press kit and more.
# # #