Know Where Your Meat Comes From: Savor the Colorado Flavor
DENVER (October 27, 2011) – Colorado is a state that thrives on agriculture. Beef is the state’s top agricultural commodity, and Colorado is well known for its lamb. Wide-open pastures with fresh air and plenty of sunshine make for the perfect environment to raise animals in a healthy manner, producing delicious beef, lamb, elk, bison and other unique meats. Whether purchasing at the ranch, ordering online or enjoying at a Colorado restaurant, residents, visitors and even folks outside of the state can savor the flavor of Colorado meats. Below is just a sampling of Colorado producers selling direct to consumers:
• Blue Mountain Bison is a bison ranch located east of Rocky Mountain National Park and is the perfect place for buffalo to roam. Blue Mountain sells bison to ranches, provides bison meat to consumers and restaurants, offers bison, deer and elk hunts on the ranch and actively participates to further the education, marketing and idea of bringing bison back to the plains. www.bluemtnbison.com
• Dayspring Farm in Olathe serves Western Colorado with fresh and naturally fed pork, beef and poultry. Their fresh country atmosphere and acres of land provide a healthy setting for their livestock, vegetables and visitors. They welcome overnight guests and visits by appointment. www.dayspringfarm.net
• Grant Family Farms is on 2,200 acres located in Wellington, and was the first State of Colorado Certified Organic farm. They raise pastured, organic chicken, lamb, turkey, duck, goose, goat and pork. Grant Family Farms offers a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program where members purchase a “share” of the farm’s harvest, and receive a weekly box of fresh produce. The farm also offers tours. www.grantfarms.com
• Grass Roots Meats in Pagosa Springs provides all natural grass-finished beef and lamb, as well as free-range chicken, raised without added hormones or antibiotics. Their animals are on pasture from the day they are born to the day they are taken to the processor. Grass Roots can ship to anywhere within the continental United States.www.grassrootsmeats.com
• High Wire Ranch is located 53 miles southeast of Grand Junction and raises 100 percent grass-fed bison and elk. Their pastures are herbicide and pesticide free, and their animals are not given hormones or sub-therapeutic antibiotics. Their meat is offered throughout Colorado, and they can ship across the United States. www.highwireranch.com
• Ralston Valley Beef is a locally owned, family-run business that offers fresh, wholesome beef direct from the ranch. Their mission is to provide the highest quality ranch-direct beef possible, in a simple, convenient, and responsible manner. With minimal effort, customers have access to the best grass-fed, grain-finished beef from Colorado’s mountains and plains. www.ralstonvalleybeef.com
• Triple M Bar Ranch meat has a unique, mild flavor due to the feed used to grow their lambs. Triple M Bar Ranch lamb meat is available year-round. They sell whole or half lambs cut to customers’ specifications. In addition, they sell individual cuts and provide lamb for meat markets, stores and restaurants. www.triplembar.com
To find Colorado meat producers, visit www.comarketmaker.com, which is a searchable online resource that connects consumers, restaurants, retailers, schools, etc. with local products. Click on "search" at the top of the page, and select “meat and poultry.” Consumers then have the choice to find meats based on species, certification, etc.
Colorado is a four-season destination offering unparalleled adventure and recreational pursuits, a thriving arts scene, a rich cultural heritage, flavorful cuisine, 26 renowned ski areas and resorts. The state's breathtaking scenic landscape boasts natural hot springs, the headwaters of seven major rivers, many peaceful lakes and reservoirs, 54 mountain peaks that top 14,000 feet and 12 national parks, monuments and historic sites. For more information or a copy of the 2011 Colorado Official State Vacation Guide, visit www.COLORADO.com or call 1-800-COLORADO. Media are invited to visit the Colorado Media Room at www.COLORADO.com/media-room for story ideas, press releases, press kits, and high-resolution, downloadable photos and video for editorial use. Follow Colorado on Twitter at www.twitter.com/colorado or become a Colorado Facebook fan at www.facebook.com/visitcolorado.
# # #