This ranching community enjoys a peaceful lifestyle in a sprawling, beautiful valley near the north-central town of Laporte.
Livermore was named for two mineral prospectors who first built a one-room cabin on the site. Later English remittance men relocated to the area and residents opened a ranching school in Livermore. However the community's most famous historical structure is The Forks Mercantile & Saloon.
The Forks was named for its location at a major split in the Overland Trail. The original owners built the tavern in 1874 after relocating to Colorado from Chicago. Local workers carted timber from the mountains, made shingles by hand and insulated the walls with sheep's wool. Following its grand opening celebration, The Forks existed as a significant community center and resting point for weary travelers heading to the mountains.
Many visitors to the Livermore area also choose to stay over at area guest ranches. Endless wilderness areas near town offer wonderful opportunities for outdoor pursuits such as hiking, fly-fishing and hunting.