Our list of classic Colorado rodeos focuses on those that are more than 100 years old. Plan your trip around these Wild West favorites.
While Denver’s massive National Western Stock Show (Jan. 9–24, 2016) features the largest crop of rodeo competitions, there is an abundance of Colorado rodeo events during the summer and early fall, including:
Greeley, June TBA-July TBA, 2017
An event that started in the 1800s to honor local potato farmers, the Greeley Stampede has blossomed into a festival attracting more than 250,000 people annually. Attractions include the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA) Rodeo, a carnival, the Big Buckle Ball, art exhibits, BMX show, Canine Spectacular, Fourth of July parade and a variety of concerts.
Steamboat Springs Cowboys' Roundup Days
Steamboat Springs, July TBA, 2017
Independence is celebrated in Western ski-town fashion in Steamboat Springs, with ski-jumping competitions on plastic surfaces (it’s summer after all), a cross-country/Nordic roller ski race and Pioneer Day block party. The Steamboat Springs Pro Rodeo Series includes bull and bronco riding, steer wrestling, roping and kids’ events like calf and ram scrambles.
Meeker, July TBA, 2017
The Fourth of July parade and fireworks are highlights during this 129-year-old Meeker tradition. In addition to rodeo action, the event features concerts, historical reenactments, a barn dance, pancake breakfast and 5K run.
Gunnison, July TBA, 2017
Another celebrated Colorado tradition, Cattlemen’s Days began in the 1800s as a time between spring calving and summer haying when ranchers took a break to test their riding and roping skills in competitions on Gunnison’s Main Street. The event includes a PRCA Rodeo, livestock exhibitions and competitions, a new ranch rodeo, parade, dog show, evening carnival and dance.
Colorado State Fair
Pueblo, Aug. 26–Sept. 5, 2016
State fair entertainment and Colorado traditions converge yearly for a seven-day itinerary of Western fun. Don’t miss PRCA Rodeo competitions, the Green Chili Championship, monster truck rallies, livestock shows and petting zoos, day and night carnivals, live concerts, craft beer tasting at the Foam Fest and more deep-fried delights than you can imagine.
More Colorado Rodeos
• Snowmass Rodeo, June 8–Aug. 17, 2016, Snowmass Village
• Beaver Creek Rodeo Series, Thursdays, June 23–Aug. 11, 2016, Beaver Creek
• Chaffee County Fair, July 21–31, 2016, Salida
• Buffalo Bill Days, July 28–31, 2016, Golden
• Cedaredge Little Britches Rodeo, May TBA, 2017, Cedaredge
• Elizabeth Stampede Rodeo, June TBA, 2017, Elizabeth
• Flying Heels Rodeo Series, select dates, June TBA-July TBA, 2017, Granby
• Brush 4th of July Parade & Rodeo, July TBA, 2017, Brush
• Red Ryder Roundup Rodeo, July TBA, 2017, Pagosa Springs
• Estes Park Rooftop Rodeo, July TBA, 2017, Estes Park
• Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo Days, July TBA, 2017, Colorado Springs
• Deltarado Days, July TBA, 2017, Delta