Colorado Farm Stays
Mesa Winds Farm & Winery
Wake up to the sight of dewy peaches, apples, grapes and cherries glistening in the sun at the Mesa Wind Farm & Winery in Hotchkiss. If you’re up for it (no pressure!), pitch in around the farm by prepping peaches for pressing into wine, helping with the grape harvest, weeding and raking pruning in the orchards, or picking and sorting tree fruit. You’ll definitely want to make friends with the resident flock of babydoll sheep, who are even cuter and more docile than they sound, as they graze among the orchards and “keep the alleyways mowed.” Sit on the tasting patio to sample the fruit, literally, of Mesa Winds' peach, rosé, pinot gris and pinot meunier wines.
Zapata Ranch, A Nature Conservancy Preserve
Zapata Ranch’s 103,000 acres in southern Colorado’s San Luis Valley near Mosca combine gourmet cuisine, nature hikes, yoga sessions and guided fly-fishing excursions with the slightly less glamorous — but most enlightening! — activities of moving grass-fed cattle, monitoring bison-herd health, mending fences, irrigating farmland and learning about land conservation. Visit during special themed weeks focused on photography, calving, branding, horsemanship, painting and butching/baking/ice-cream making.
Gunnison River Farms
Nestled along the Gunnison River, this idyllic farm in the tiny southwest town of Austin has been growing some of the state's best peaches for more than 100 years. Guests are welcomed to the farm's historic cabins. When the dinner bell rings, they can gather around the lodge's farm table for a meal that might include lamb or pork raised on the property as well as veggies from the abundant garden. Gunnison River Farms also offers guests expert trout-fishing guide services, which will help you plan a bountiful Colorado fishing adventure.
Colorado Farm Dinners
Experience an authentic farm-to-table meal alfresco at scenic farms across Colorado with these organizations, which typically hold events during the spring, summer and fall months.
• Meadow Lark Farm Dinners, Various farms around the state
• Isabelle Farm, Lafayette
• 63rd Street Farm Seed-to-Table Dinners, Boulder
• Zephyros Farm & Garden, Paonia
• Ollin Farms, Longmont
• Lone Hawk Farms Longmont
• Fox Fire Farms, Ignacio
Other Colorado Farm & Ranch Experiences
• James Ranch's 400-acre Animas River Valley spread near Durango will whisk you through its green pastures, where you'll see cattle grazing, visit the artisanal cheesemaking facility and marvel at gardens, hens, turkeys and pigs while learning about sustainable farming and ranching.
• Fruition Farms in Larkspur, Colorado's first artisanal sheep dairy and creamery and the chief supplier of delicious menu items at Denver's Fruition Restaurant, occasionally offers tours and classes where you might learn about animal husbandry, cheesemaking and butchering.
• The Goat Cheese Lady in Colorado Springs is an "urban farmgirl" offering classes in the making of cheese, bread, soap and lotion. Stone Creek Farmstead also offers classes on those three crafts on their tiny goat farm in Divide.
• Canyon Wren Farm's historic farmhouse in Grand Junction can be your homebase for exploring the area’s wineries, markets and outdoor pursuits — and will start your day off right with a hearty homemade breakfast.
Read about Colorado dude ranch vacations, which make incredible family vacations or romantic getaways.