Colorado’s Western spirit is reincarnated at rodeos throughout the state, where traditional affairs such as bull riding, steer wrestling and livestock competitions are often paired with contemporary festivities, including concerts from big-name country entertainers, dog shows and super-cool contests (think craft beer and ski jumping).
Our list of classic Colorado rodeos focuses on those that are more than 100 years old. Plan your trip around these Wild West favorites.
While Denver’s massive National Western Stock Show (Jan. 8–23, 2022) features the largest crop of rodeo competitions, there is an abundance of Colorado rodeo events during the summer and early fall, including:
Greeley, June 23–July 4, 2021
An event that started in the 1800s to honor local potato farmers, the Greeley Stampede has blossomed into a festival attracting more than 250,000 people annually. Attractions include the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA) Rodeo, a carnival, the Big Buckle Ball, art exhibits, BMX show, Canine Spectacular, Fourth of July parade and a variety of concerts.
Steamboat Springs Cowboys' Roundup Days
Steamboat Springs, June TBA, 2021
Independence is celebrated in Western ski-town fashion in Steamboat Springs, with ski-jumping competitions on plastic surfaces (it’s summer after all), a cross-country/Nordic roller ski race and Pioneer Day block party. The Steamboat Springs Pro Rodeo Series includes bull and bronco riding, steer wrestling, roping, and kids’ events like calf and ram scrambles.
Meeker, July TBA, 2021
The Fourth of July parade and fireworks are highlights during this 134-year-old Meeker tradition. In addition to rodeo action, the event features concerts, historical reenactments, a barn dance, pancake breakfast and 5K run.
Gunnison, Sept. TBA, 2021
Another celebrated Colorado tradition, Cattlemen’s Days began in the 1800s as a time between spring calving and summer haying when ranchers took a break to test their riding and roping skills in competitions on Gunnison’s Main Street. The event includes a PRCA Rodeo, livestock exhibitions and competitions, a new ranch rodeo, parade, dog show, evening carnival and dance.
Colorado State Fair
Pueblo, Aug. 27–Sept. 6, 2021
State fair entertainment and Colorado traditions converge yearly for a seven-day itinerary of Western fun. Don’t miss PRCA Rodeo competitions, the Green Chili Championship, monster truck rallies, livestock shows and petting zoos, day and night carnivals, live concerts, craft beer tasting at the Foam Fest and more deep-fried delights than you can imagine.
More Colorado Rodeos
• Southern Colorado Little Britches Rodeo, Feb. 20–Feb. 21, 2021, Holyoke
• Kit Carson Little Britches Rodeo, Apr. 17–Apr. 18 & May 29–May 30, 2021, Burlington
• True Western Roundup, Wednesdays, June 2–July 28, 2021, Durango & select Saturdays, May–Oct., Cortez
• Snowmass Rodeo, July–Aug. TBA, 2021, Snowmass Village
• Flying Heels Rodeo Series, Saturdays, June 5 –July 31, 2021, Granby
• Beaver Creek Rodeo Series, June–Aug. TBA, 2021, Beaver Creek
• Red Ryder Roundup Rodeo, July 2–4, 2021, Pagosa Springs
• Brush 4th of July Parade & Rodeo, July TBA, 2021, Brush
• Estes Park Rooftop Rodeo, July 5–10, 2021, Estes Park
• Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo, July 14–17, 2021, Colorado Springs
• Chaffee County Fair, July 24–Aug. 1, 2021, Salida
• Meeker Summer Rodeo Series, select dates, June 10 –Aug. 19, 2021
• Buffalo Bill Days, June TBA 2022 (cancelled 2021), Golden
• Deltarado Days, July 22–25, 2021, Delta