Thanks to the invention of the mountain bike and an abundance of fun, flows trails for all types of riders, Fruita is finally gaining much-deserved recognition as an outdoor paradise. Along with Fruita's extensive trail system, this Western Slope town also has rafting for all types, be it a leisurely float down Ruby and Horsethief canyons or a heart-pounding surge through Westwater Canyon.
Fruita is a place like no other. With beautiful landscapes, a wide variety of recreation for all seasons, and so many local businesses to explore, Fruita is truly a unique place to spend time in. And we guarantee that once you visit, you won’t want to leave.
Fruita is a paradise for outdoor-lovers with many activities to choose from. The arid climate means that winters are short and mild, so spring and fall are great times to get outside. While you’re here, make sure to check out our world-class mountain biking for all abilities, hiking trails with stunning views, the Colorado River and its rafting or SUP options, and more.
Colorado National Monument is a must-see during your visit. But this treasure is much more than a monument. Visitors can enjoy camping, hiking, wildlife viewing, and, of course, spectacular views. See what else there is to do in the monument >>
Take a step back in history to the time of the dinosaurs during your visit. Explore the famous Dinosaur Journey museum to learn about the dinosaurs that once roamed our region. Or join a professionally conducted dinosaur excavation to get hands-on experience uncovering the past.
Hike through Dinosaur Hill to explore dinosaur history on your own. During the mile-long trail, you can stop at 10 different points of interest for dinosaur bones, informational plaques, and great scenery.
Festivals & Events
There’s always something going on in Fruita, whether it’s a large festival or a local event. Join us for one of the events below during your visit, and get to know the area as well as some of our residents.
- Fruita Fat Tire Festival – Taking place in late April or early May annually, the two-day festival is a biker’s paradise. Ride miles of pristine trails, meet new friends, enjoy live music and more.
- Mike the Headless Chicken Festival – In the 1940s, Fruita was home to Mike, a chicken that lived for 18 months after having his head chopped off. Now, Fruita hosts a festival every June to celebrate his life and heroic story.
- Summer Activities – During the summer months, enjoy free concerts every Thursday or experience the true west at the Rimrock Rodeo every Tuesday. Check out the Farmers’ Market on Saturdays to get a taste of the local fare.
- Fruita Fall Festival – One of the oldest events in Colorado, the festival in September includes live music, craft and food vendors, a parade and other fun fall activities.
- Rim Rock Run – Winding over the Colorado Monument from Grand Junction to Fruita, this run boasts scenery unlike any other marathon.
Eat, Drink & Shop Local
Refuel after a day in the Fruita desert with some local food, beer and good company. Fruita has a variety of restaurants to fit your needs and budget. Downtown Fruita also features 16 historic building to explore while you’re out and about.